Below is a sample of the Comprehension section from the Cracking the ABC Code Multisensory Reading Program Level 3.
1. These are cloze exercises. Cloze exercises are useful for identifying a student’s knowledge and understanding of the reading process. They help extend the student’s vocabulary, encourage him/her to monitor for meaning and encourages the critical and analytical interpretation of the text. The student should read the sentence saying ‘something’ or a nonsense word like ‘burb’ in place of the missing word.
2. These are definitions. For students to understand text, it is important that they are not only able to decode a word, but also understand the meaning of that word.
The comprehension exercises are designed to reinforce the meaning of the words being learned in the previous section.
- Complete one comprehension exercise from each section each day.
- Encourage the student to return to the columns of words to find the answer.
- When the student finds the correct word, identify the letters of the sound being studied and the linking picture (e.g., ay for tray).
- Point out any unusual letter combinations that may make the correct spelling of the word difficult.
Click on the book images to purchase.